Adventures in Homeschooling in Southern Indiana

Friday, May 30, 2008

I need to learn to keep my mouth shut

Why is it that whenever I discuss abortion with someone who is dogmatically "Pro-choice" I end up with a headache and wanting to cry?

Though I think I've figured out what it all boils down to...

Do you think your children belong to you? Do you think you made them? Or are they these odd, unique creatures whose care is entrusted to you by God?

I look at my son and MARVEL that my husband and I had anything to do with his creation. (My daughters too, of course, but since the fabulous Mr. B is currently absorbed in moving a single cheerio to and from a bowl, he seems more wondrously alien at the moment. :) )

Even in utero, he clearly had his own mind, his own choices (like "Mom's stomach would make a GREAT pillow right now, at three am.. HEY... WHY IS SHE TAKING TUMS???)

So, to me, it seems obvious that I don't actually OWN my kids. I can try to protect them, I can love them, I can raise them.... but I certainly can't sell them... or choose to destroy them... because they are NOT MINE. They are God's......

But if you don't know they belong to God.... if you don't believe they have souls... then pro-lifers are probably just as crazy as those people telling you that carrot juice constitutes murder and greenhouses are prisons for slaves...........

No comments: