Adventures in Homeschooling in Southern Indiana

Monday, November 17, 2008

Questions for Anon....

Sorry to make this a separate post... I can't see the security codes today! Or hear them! (stupid IE!)

Hey anon! You comments have given me a lot to think about. Before I answer your objection, I have a couple of questions though-- just so I can see where you're coming from (and so I can do a better job keeping 'religious' arguments out of this..)


1. You said you believe a person's life begins at birth. Are you referring to life in the biological sense, or life as 'personhood?'

1a. Why do you believe it begins at birth?

2.Do you believe in Human rights? If so, where do they come from? What entitles something/something to human rights?

3. You talked about when a young woman is still a child. What do you think marks the end of childhood? What is the difference between a child's decision and an adults?

Thanks again! It's nice to have a cordial discussion of thoughts with someone who doesn't agree with me-- Gosh... it's been years since I've had that! (Oh Hyde Park, How I miss Ye!) =)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I generally don't think about life in terms of biological vs. personhood. But I do believe that life begins after birth (though a child may be viable before). Perhaps my view of when life ends answers your question better - I do not believe brain dead people or people who are irreversibly comatose should be kept on machines - in my view, they are already dead. But to have life begin before birth simply makes no sense to me - how can one be alive if their entire existence is tied to the body of another - it is, in some respects, the same as a comatose person tied to a machine.

Yes of course I believe in human rights (for those who are born and thus alive to have rights). We, as people, have a certain sense of self preservation. Human rights plays into that sense - we would like to believe that someone won't kill us without cause, or that should we need help, it will be provided, so we don't kill without cause and we provide help to others. That is why, for most people, the extent of the help they provide is limited in scope (for example, few are overly concerned about the killings in Darfur). That is also why we can justify war.

Childhood is defined by culture. In some cultures it ends at a young age. Here in the U.S., it legally ends around 18 (perhaps before), and yet many parents support their children beyond that age. There cannot be an all-encompassing definition, but on some level it has to do with the ability to care for one's self, and make reasonable decisions that reflect an understanding of the situation. I find it difficult to believe that you will ever find a 12 year old who is truly an adult, even if that 12 year old has a child of her own.